The Story: Harish Iyer

 The Story: Harish Iyer



Hey there readers, Ish here. And you are reading The Teen Vogue; by a teen, for a teen. 
And this is the second blog of the "The Story" series featuring Harish Iyer.

Harish is a famous LGBT+ activist. He first appeared on Aamir Khan's show, Satyamev Jayate to discuss the issue of child abuse. the preferred pronouns are He/SheIyer routinely uses social media (blogs, Facebook and Twitter) to campaign for causes dear to him. He is best known for turning his personal blog into a helpline during the 26/11 Terror Attacks. Iyer later organized an animal-aided therapy workshop along with Animal Angels in Mumbai to help citizens recuperate.

In 2009, Iyer and Shobhaa De initiated a campaign called S.I.T.A. (Sensitivity in True Action) Sena campaign to condemn the attack on women in a Bangalore pub by the right-wing socio-political group Sri Ram Sene. Through the campaign, they urged women to arm themselves with whistles and blow it on eve-teasers. In August 2013, when the news of the gang-rape of a young photojournalist was published, in keeping with his quirky protests, Iyer marched on Mumbai's streets wearing bright red lipstick with a placard that read "Don't look at my lipstick. Listen to me".

He was often ridiculed because of his "Girlish style walk" as a child. He was told that he behaves like a girl to which he questioned that why calling someone a girl considered abuse.  He tells people to accept the way everyone is, he says that he doesn't care if others accept him the way he is or not, but he accepts everyone.


Harish Iyer is a true inspiration, not just for people belonging to the LGBT+ community, but for everyone.

Source- Josh Talks, Wikipedia. 

Watch Harish Iyer's speech on Josh Talks here.

Image source- Wikipedia

I am sure this was helpful to you in some way. And I'll be doing more of such stuff. If you have any doubts or questions, you can fill up my comments section. And also, I have not copied my content from any website and have written it on my own.
I'd be tackling issues related to studies, friendship, career, choices, and more. Being a teenager is hard, but let's face it together. I am open to suggestions so you can mail me at ipshita7000i@gmail.com
A kind request to my readers, if you comment under the blog then make sure your name is displayed. If you don't own an account then make sure you leave your name in the comments.
Thank you for reading.
©IpshitaBlogs

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts